In the summer of 1949, eleven enterprising moms organized a playgroup on the Hackley School grounds, where they took turns watching the children once a week. This group, the fledgling Tarrytown Nursery School, quickly grew and was soon chartered by the State of New York as a non-profit, cooperative school. As the schools membership expanded, it relocated a few more times, finally in 1971 to its current location, the undercroft of Christ Episcopal Church on West Elizabeth Street, where it continues as an independent, non-profit, and non-sectarian pre-school. In June of 1976 the school was registered with the New York State Department of Education.
The School provides young children between the ages of two and four with a happy and productive pre-school education. A flexible curriculum encourages children to develop self-confidence, gain some degree of independence, and get along with others their own age. Bright, airy classrooms and an outdoor playground are the setting for your child’s exploration, discovery, creativity, and self-expression.
As members of the cooperative, parents have an opportunity to observe and participate in their children’s experiences and to share their own special talents and interests with them. The staff is made up of highly qualified teachers and assistants who work together and with the parents to ensure the best possible pre-school education for all students.